If you would have asked me a year ago what Washi Tape was I would have no idea, but fast forward to present time and I would say that it is the greatest invention ever. I strongly believe that if something has a flat surface, then Washi Tape belongs on it. With that being said, when I moved into my dorm this year, I felt my room was missing a few things. I got out my washi tape, then all my problems were solved.
Here are ten ways to use washi tape to add a splash of color/ personality to your room:
- Dresser- Back at home my dresser is different shades of blue and has cute knobs. When I look at my dresser at school, it is simple and boring. To fix this, I just put a strip of washi tape on every single drawer. I didn’t want it to be too chaotic, so I kept it as simple as possible. [P.S. Yes that is a dinosaur eating my succulent on top of the dresser.]
- Door- When you walk into my suite, the first thing you see is the door to my bedroom. I wanted to find a cute way to decorate it, and I looked no further than my washi tape. I had seen people use washi on their door before, but this was my first attempt and I have to say it was successful. After decorating the door, I sent a picture to my mom and she told me to slow down with all the decorating incase my roommate didn’t like it. Thankfully, she did.
- Desk- Freshman year when I was working at my desk, I felt like something was missing. This was at the beginning of my washi tape obsession phase so I thought, “what if I put one big strip of washi tape across the shelf.” From that point on, I put it everywhere. This year I took it one step further and put it on my drawers also.
- Computer Charger- Those long white chords can really be an eye sore, but when adding some washi tape, it doesn’t look so bad any more. Also, since my roommate and I have the same phone and computer… we have the same chargers. Adding washi tape makes it easy to distinguish whose charger is whose.
- Blinds- Let me start by saying, the picture I took was for blog purposes and as soon as I was done, I took it down. I am not saying that this is not cute, it just clashes with everything else going on in my room. If I were to stick with one color scheme and pattern all the way through, the blinds could end up looking real nice.
- Light Switch- I have to say, I think this one is my absolute favorite. All you have to do is unscrew it, wrap tape along the edges and screw it back on. I don’t know what else to say but I love this.
- Laptop/ Laptop case- Not only does this add color to your dorm room, but it also adds personality as you go from class to class. This cute but simple idea got so many compliments.
- Plastic Drawers- This drawer used to be white but now with a splash of color it helps make a difference. I decided to keep the colors neutral and similar to the same color as my desk. Also, I did not like how I could see through (some times the drawers get real messy) so this is the perfect way to solve that.
- Flower Pot- This is a great way to spice up a simple pot. If the tape matches the flower or in this instance the cacti, it looks even better!
- Christmas Tree (for the holidays) Incase you are wondering, yes it is September and yes I have a holiday decorations up in my room. I warned my roommate about this and she didn’t seem to mind so lets see how long I will keep it up actually. I love this idea because some dorms do not allow christmas trees, so why not make your own?
Now I have to admit, having all 10 washi tape decorations up at once can be a bit much and begin to look a little bit tacky. My suggestion is to pick a few of your favorites and go from there.
I would like to thank my roommate for putting up with washi tape shenanigans. Nothing beats her face when she walks in and finds my newest creation. And for now, she wants to see how long we can keep our christmas tree up. We are thinking of adding pumpkins for ornaments since Halloween is right around the corner.
If you used any of these, or this helped you gain inspiration to do something else, let me know! I would love to hear about it.