This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of O-Cedar. All opinions are 100% mine.
When it came time to filling out my first roommate application the I made sure I would be paired with a roommate who was organized and clean. I have never been one for being comfortable living in a ‘pigsty’. In no way am I judging that lifestyle, but I find it so easy to become distracted when surrounded by a mess. Thankfully, I was paired up with a group of girls who were on the same page as me when it came to cleanliness.
I have heard and seen so many dorm horror stories where dorm rooms look like a complete mess. I’ve even been in situations where I went to someone’s dorm room to hang out and ended up cleaning their room because of how dirty is was.
The truth is, keeping your dorm room clean does not come easy. You can watch a sparkling dorm room turn into a mess in a matter of days.
Here are some tips and tricks for maintaining a sparkling clean dorm room:
1. Invest in Cleaning Supplies
Having cleaning supplies in your dorm room is by far the most important step to keeping your dorm clean. If you don’t have any cleaning supplies, cleaning up is not going to be easy. As a college student, I understand that we all don’t have extra money to spend but cleaning supplies are worth the investment. When it comes down to everything from sponges to vacuums, I made sure to split everything evenly with my roommates.
For example, the O-Cedar Microfiber Steam Mop goes for $60. For one person, that might be a lot, BUT if I were to split it with my other 3 roommates, that would make the mop only 15 dollars each. If you do that for all your big cleaning supplies, it makes affording and keeping your dorm clean so much easier.
Here are some supplies you might want to invest in:
- Sponges– You can never have too many sponges!
- Disinfectant Wipes- These will always come in handy!
- Squeegee- This is great if you have your own shower. Use this after every time you shower and it keeps your glass doors looking great.
- Duster– I found that all my counter and desk tops got dusty real quickly! With a duster, it is super simple to remove dirt quickly and easily.
- Dish Soap- You can’t have clean dishes with out some good soap.
- Paper towels- It is essential that you have a roll or two around your room at all times, you would be amazed at how quickly they disappear.
- Vacuum- Luckily, most RA’s in your hall will have a vacuum to borrow. While it is not necessary to have your own, it sure does help out.
- Air freshener- This is vital to keeping your dorm room smell nice. So many times dorm rooms start to develop a strange scent, so having air fresheners near by is always necessary.
- And Lastly a Steam Mop– While a vacuum cleans up loose items on the carpet it doesn’t give it a deep clean. My dorm room ends up having so many spills and stains on the floor which is something this mop does great at cleaning up. I would suggest purchasing the O-Cedar Microfiber Steam Mop. Not only is it easy to assemble, but it does not weigh a thing. It is very quiet, which is important when living with roommates. The unit comes with a carpet glider which provides great mobility for the dorm room. It works on both carpet and hardwood floor, which is great because all dorm rooms are different. I had never used a mop before this one, and I’ll have to say, it sure does make cleaning fun especially in a dorm room.
2. Decide your daily, weekly and monthly tasks
When it comes down to it, to keep your dorm room clean, you need to, follow through with daily, weekly and maybe even monthly tasks but first comes first, you need to invest in some cleaning supplies. With out them, cleaning your room is going to be a huge struggle. After the supplies are purchased, it is important to develop a cleaning list and divide it into tasks: daily, weekly and monthly.
There are a few things you should do to your room every single day that will keep your room looking clean and fresh.
- Make your bed.
- Put all dirty clothes in your hamper.
- Keep your desk clean.
While the daily tasks I mentioned are more of an individual approach, when it comes to weekly tasks, this is what you should be splitting up with your roommates. My biggest recommendation is to create a Roommate Chore Chart as seen in the picture above!
Here are some tasks you should consider adding to your Roommate Chore Chart:
- Take out the trash
- Steam Mop
- Clean Mirrors
- Wipe Down Surfaces
Sometimes, there are tasks that you do not need to do weekly, but do need to be done every so often. That is where some of these monthly tasks can come in:
- Wash Bedding
- Deep Clean Bathroom
- Clean windows, door knobs, etc.
3. Keep Your Desk Organized
A clean desk is vital to academic success. Also, if you have a messy desk, your room is going to look so much more messy. It is so easy to watch things pile up and that is why you need to keep it clean every day. Make sure that you have your papers in folders or files so nothing gets bent or broken. Keep your pens and a pencil-case or desk organizer. My desk has about 3 desk organizers and 4 file folders. Everything has a place to go so there is no excuse for a messy desk.
4. Don’t be a pack rat
I’ll be the first to admit that I like to keep EVERYTHING. While this can be a good and bad thing, when it comes to keeping a dorm room clean, it is important to remember that you do not have enough space. That is why you want to be sure what you bring with you to school and what you collect during the school year. Just think if you don’t need it, don’t keep it.
In the picture above, that is my desk from my first year of college. If I were to compare it to my desk from my second year, you would notice that I have so much more supplies and ‘crap.’ What I learned was that the more you have, the more space you are going to need to store things.
5. Set time aside for cleaning
The main excuse I have heard for not having a clean room is, “I don’t have the time.” The truth is, everyone has time, you just don’t want to do it. My suggestion is to pull out that Steam Mop, Sponges, and disinfectant wipes, turn on some music and start to clean. You can even have a roommate cleaning party, you will be amazed at how quickly you will clean if you work together.
Are you looking for an opportunity to keep your living space extra clean this year? Well you are in luck because the amazing people over at O-Cedar are letting me host a give away! Enter to win the O-Cedar Microfiber Steam Mop below! The winner will be chosen July 16, 2016.